Added Aug 31, 2011
Warwick, United ...
I made this dress as a costume for a charity fundraising show based on Jane Austen. I made it in a hurry so it’s not perfect, but then the audience would have never known!
I used the Danielle pattern as a starting point, but obviously had to make some changes:
I had to make it longer, and I used hooks and eyes, not a zip (though buttons would do too, I guess).
I added width to the skirt pieces and increased the gather so I had about 4 folds, not just the two pleats, making a much more full skirt which is more suitable for the period
I also cut the neckline a little higher and more rounded as it’s very square and low.
I used a polyester fabric I had in my material box, so it’s not terrible authentic. The whole dress is fully lined in cotton, bodice and skirt.
Member Project of the Week
She modified this coat wonderfully by adding length and changing the pockets and collar
Congratulations to addiemiller22 for winning, and now being the face of our Cascade Designer Dress!
Flaunt your sewing skills as well as your fab fashion sense in these modern, head-turning designs
Watch Meg's promo of our upcoming course! It is the future of at-home pattern drafting...
Pattern of the Week
The oversized shape has a cool bell shaped silhouette with a wide body and fitted sleeves
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.