Added Oct 23, 2011
London, United K...
Modified Burda Style 2011-08-112 cape.
I tried the pattern, but found it too wide in the shoulder yet strangely restrictive of arm movements. So I got Big Bertha (my Duct Tape Double) to test it out. Tweaking what I thought was a minor fit issue in the neck – shoulder area, I was surprised (or not) to find it fitted better once this was fixed. But still too claustrophobic. So I went ahead and
1. added slash & double-welted slits in the side front panels for new arm slits
2. converted the original arm slits into in-seam pockets
3. kept small slits above the pockets for a self-fabric tie belt to come out and tie around the CF only
4. reshaped the shoulder area to fit
5. narrow the shoulder width while pivoting the side seam out for wider hem
6. omitted the back vent
7. changed facing to edge-to-edge lining – the wool was too scratchy
And the “Crumb Catcher” part is because I accidentally cut the fabric upside down, so the nap runs upward, catching every bits of potato chip crumbs. Clever innit!
Coat-weight Wool with a furry pony-skin like nap. 57″ × 1-7/8 yards. (And I still have big enough scraps for a handbag in the planning! :-)
Get all 11 of these retro inspired patterns for one low price!
Pattern of the Week
Hippie meets grunge in this plaid top with flared sleeves and a round neckline.
Leopard and snakeskin are the new neutrals.
Member Project of the Week
Peneloping's hand beaded frock is a real stunner.
Make these brand new blouses and dresses in candy colored silk.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.