Added Apr 13, 2014
This time I made a Spring-Summer dress 120 from the March Burda 2014. I didn’t like the original’s fabric and I wasn’t sure about the pleated sleeves.
My issues were resolved by the coice of fabrics – I used a pieces of cotton lawn for the top part and thick blue jersey for the skirt part. I only had a small piece of that cotton lawn, I barely managed to cut the fronts and back pieces, there was no way I squeezed out a pair of sleeves from it. Same goes for jersey – I bought 1 m on-line, it turned out much later that I was given 90 cm by mistake but it was way too late to complain to the seller, but it was just perfect for a skirt. I decided to leave the dress with short sleeves only, as per the pattern pieces, but I had to alter it later during sewing.
I really liked how it looked like, the short cap sleeves, unfortunately I couldn’t move my arms – the fabric almost tore and I think that’s some kind of a mistake in the construction of this dress (my sewing friend recently wrote about the problems with another dress from some 2014 Burda issue’s…), the dress fits perfectly in any other point but the sleeves.
If I could change one thing now I’d fix one error I made during sewing – I thought that the jersey skirt doesn’t really need a zipper since it’s so stretchy, so after I added the zipper into the cotton blouse part, I only left a 6 cm piece of it in the skirt part. Definitely not a good idea, my waist is relatively small compared to the rest of me and now putting the dress on and off is a really delicate operation because the circumference of the opening in the dress is almost the same as a circumference of my shoulders or bust line…
Apart from removing the sleeves my only alteration was cutting the pattern in different sizes – I started with size 40 at the shoulders and bust, went down to 38 in waist, went up to 40 in hips and 42 in the thighs, that’s how funny I’m built. ^^~~
The jersey part has been sewn using the yersey needle size 90, and I hemmed it with a good old zig zag stitch because the double needle refused to cooperate (btw, I managed to find the perfect length of the dress! *^o^).
cotton lawn, cotton jersey