Client Project: "Hit Girl" Cape for DragonCon
Added Sep 8, 2011
As a disclaimer, I have never seen “Kick A—” the movie and I can’t imagine I ever will: but I overheard my would-be client Joey in Hobby Lobby asking a worker about making a costume, and I cold-called him and asked if I could help. He was going to go to the “Dragoncon” convention as “Hit Girl” and he needed a cape for his costume. He was a really great first client.
I used the Simplicity 2499, View C pattern. The cape in the film appears to be cut away at the shoulders for better movement; so I cut most of the front panel away from the cape. I also shortened the standup collar about 3" – 4", and interfaced it with super-heavy interfacing instead of using boning as the pattern specified. I used french-seams to finish all the inside seams; and I finished the front edges with black bias tape. I hand-sewed on the extra-large hook and eye at the neck for a clasp.
I was super-nervous the whole time, because I have never sewn any costumes for anyone besides my family. I was also worried it wouldn’t fit right, but thankfully it looks great in the picture he sent back to me.
The picture of the finished costume looks hilarious and really close to the pictures I have seen. I had a great time doing the project. I feel proud that I overcame the fear of working with a client. Yay!!
7 yards black flannel, thread, 1/2 yard thick interfacing, 1 large hook & eye.
- Garment Type
- Geek, Goth/Gothic Lolita, Other, Steampunk
- Joey S.
- Allison M.