Added Mar 16, 2013
I was hoping to finish this dirndl for Christmas, but missed and got it done right after new years. Ahh…, next year. It took me about three weeks to make the blouse, dress and apron.
I made a size 4 and it was really tight on my not-even 2 1/2 year-old. I had to work really hard to button all those tiny buttons done up on a squiggly girl. BTW, putting buttonholes on velvet is really hard. The material doesn’t feed well, so if you have wash away stabilizer, try that.
I didn’t know it until after I cut the material, but those cute blouses are only half blouses. Next time I’ll make a longer one so she can wear the blouse more.
The bodice back is a “V” and I had to cut the back piece in half as the directions called for. Next time I’ll make it a rounded back and keep it one nice piece.
The front of the dirndl dress has a slit and the pattern had a square notch. I took the pattern literally and worked really hard to put a nice square notch in, but now that I know what it’s for, would have preferred a slit.
Can’t wait to make a spring dirndl now!
Exotic prints and silhouettes combine for this alluring collection
Fashion & Trends
While Sewing Their Own Halloween Costume (in GIFs!)
Member Project of the Week
Rwest1014's created this gorgeous skirt to wear Halloween after Halloween.
Comment To Win
Get your copy of BurdaStyle Modern Sewing: Wardrobe Essentials today!
RSVP for The Sewing Party and take a peek at exciting classes you won't find anywhere else.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.