Added Jan 26, 2012
Los Angeles, Cal...
I decided that I wanted to make myself a new qipao for Chinese New Year. This was a challenge, as I didn’t have a pattern per se, just a drawing of a pattern from a website. I used a sloper to help me determine the dimensions and dart placement, then free-handed the curve in front. The side closure was a little tricky, but in the end I was able to figure it out. I had to add some extra darts to make the pattern as fitted as I wanted; it’s definitely the most spur of the moment dart-ing I’ve ever done. I also ended up making my own frog buttons out of bias tape since I couldn’t find the right shade of purple in the ready-made selection. All in all, I’m very pleased with my final dress!
More details and pictures here.
100% cotton for the shell, underlined with muslin. Traditional qipao are supposed to be silk brocade, but that’s awfully impractical. I bound the edges and made the frog closure with bias tape.
BurdaStyle Project of the Week
Meg made this edgy variation of the Open Back Dress!
Pattern of the Week
This fitted jacket will keep you warm and stylish on those cool summer nights!
Dive back into 1956 with this stylish two in one pant suit pattern!
Member Project of the Week
Get inspired by printed floral bustier dress with flounce! It is so summery.
The style is cool and sporty beach wear that can be worn anywhere!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.