Chevron Cardigan (#117 08/2011)
Added Apr 6, 2014
Hamilton, New Ze...
I got this material on sale because there was some dye which had run on the inside of the fabric but I love mustard yellow and I love chevron stripes, so I got it anyway. It could have been a disaster for this pattern, but I made sure that I had the dye on the inside of the sleeves, not on the inside of the center front so you wouldn’t end up seeing it. I had liked this pattern for a while, and initially wanted to make it up in some of the jersey I already had (a moss green or another mustard yellow) but they were all 1m wide, which isn’t enough for the draped feature. I usually take some out of the shoulder and waist because I’m not as long in the body as most of the patterns, but I didn’t bother with this because it’s not fitted and it ended up longer than I expected because of it.
I broke two twin ballpoint needles making this cardigan (which was quite an expensive mistake, as they’re about $6 each). The first time was because it didn’t like sewing through about 4 layers of fabric, and the other was because I still had the machine set to zigzag and it just hit the metal foot and snapped before I even made a stitch. My sewing machine isn’t actually made to have twin needles so I had to put the second lot of thread on my mum’s machine behind mine, and then feed it through.
2m of 112m wide jersey (pattern recommends for 1.5 in 1.5m wide)