Added Sep 2, 2009
I made this juicy cherry coloured dress for a wedding, basically tweaking a Simplicity summer dress pattern (3774) to turn it into a cocktail number.
I used red tulle with flocked spots over red satin. Knowing how slippery and nightmarish satin can be to sew, I actually found that using the tulle made it much easier as it really gave the fabric some traction. For the bodice section I basted the tulle and satin together and sewed as per the pattern instructions. I wanted the skirt section to flow freely though so I sewed the satin and tulle layers like seperate skirts, basting them and then sewing them together at the top only. Using a “baby-locker” I finished off the satin hem while leaving the tulle raw. I improved a bit of a sash and slipped a diamate buckle to give it some jazz.
Red satin, red tulle with flocked polka dots
Member Project of the Week
She modified this coat wonderfully by adding length and changing the pockets and collar
Congratulations to addiemiller22 for winning, and now being the face of our Cascade Designer Dress!
Flaunt your sewing skills as well as your fab fashion sense in these modern, head-turning designs
Watch Meg's promo of our upcoming course! It is the future of at-home pattern drafting...
Pattern of the Week
The oversized shape has a cool bell shaped silhouette with a wide body and fitted sleeves
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.