Added Dec 13, 2009
Brooklyn, New Yo...
So, I made this Emily on an impulse born from a momentary obsession with Chambray shirts. I made this a straight size 42 with the only mods being to add a bit of a shirt tail shape to the hem, and to make sleeve plackets.
I can see that this size really doesn’t work for me in this non-stretch fabric without further fit modifications. The fit in the shoulders and neck is great, but it is tight across the bust and hips. I need to do a full bust modification to the front piece and blend to a size 44 at the hips. Also, this pattern doesn’t have any back shoulder shaping. I think if I were to make this again in a fabric with no stretch like this chambray, I would make a back yoke with an ease pleat at the center, or perhaps one at each side. Oh, and I need to lengthen the sleeves from the upper portion by about 3/4"…. the elbows feel tight on the back when I bend my arm. It’s definitely a length problem, not a circumference problem.
The sleeves caps had a lot of ease and I have some slight puckering going on, but over all I am pretty pleased with my workmanship. I LOVE how the sleeve placket turned out. I found a tutorial for that online…. I’ll link to it when I find it again.
One complaint about the pattern…. the button hole placement on the cuffs is weird. Don’t mark up your fabric or make the hole until you are sure you like the placement. I had to add a 2nd button/hole to make the closure centered on the cuff.