Added Mar 14, 2009
I made a great maxi dress last summer out of a fantastic vintage paisley, but afterwards I realized that it was a little too low-cut and bare to be wearing out in public.
So, that in mind I went for a look for a pattern that had the same feel but was a little more covering. I found this one (New Look 6774) and although it looked reaaaaally ill-fitting on the package, with a little tweaking I got it pretty good. I’m really happy with it the fit – I can go braless and still feel really comfortable in it.
Afterwards I had a bunch of fabric left over, so I decided to make a little bolero to go overtop – incase I wanted to wear it out somewhere a little more fancy. I used the JJ bodice blocks for the initial shape and made alterations from there.
3M of cotton, interfacing.
JJ for the bodice blocks.
My mom for being so patient pinning and re-pinning everything onto me.
Plan a weekend getaway in these sweater dresses and furry accessories.
Member Project of the Week
Clothingengineer made a classic trench in Pantone's 2014 color of the year. Take a look!
Fashion and Trends
Check out this post all on menswear, and see how Meg was inspired to create her own men's shirts!
Learn how to set your serger up for sewing a rolled hem in this week's new BurdaStyle Video!
Perfect the art of sewing collars and stands, including tricks you won't find in books or patterns!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.