Added Mar 25, 2008
Brooklyn, New Yo...
I used the Cate pattern but very casual fabrics to make an elegant but wearable summer dress.
The top is cotten. The bottom is a stretch material…probably jersey.
I made some changes to the pattern to simplify this dress. There are no sleeves (but I think an optional, detachable halter strap might be nice), and I did not include boning or lining.
I’m thinking of putting in an inner “belt” that is sometimes found within heavier beaded strapless dresses to keep them up, but am not sure how to accomplish this without some trial and error. I could have also used some elastic in the empire waist. I’m pretty flat-chested, so it’s not a huge issue.
I’ve yet to hem, and don’t even know if the fabric needs it. But I’m open to suggestions! It may just need a clean cut line.
I finished with french seams since I omitted a lining for the dress (though there is a lining for the bust), and added a tuxedo ruffle as I decided I wasn’t crazy about the rectangle strip of fabric the pattern calls for.
The dress has been lengthened to the floor as described on the front page of the pattern.
*my pattern was pretty sloppy. mis-labeled pieces, and instructions that confused me a bit, but it could have just been me!
Cotton, jersey-type stretch material, invisible zipper, interfacing