Added Feb 16, 2009
A self-designed project. Several creations on BurdaStyle prompted me to have a go at shirring. I bought 3m of cream cheesecloth and had a go. Gradually, the project evolved from being just an experiment, to a top with a fully-shirred bodice, to a dress, to a dress with shirring at the top and under the bust (I realised how long it would take to shir the bodice completely, so I opted out!) The result is very pleasing – I must admit it is not very neat by any means, but who cares? This fabric allows me to get away with it :) In fact, this is perfect for the Tropicana night my college is having next week! I dyed the cheesecloth purple (it turned out way brighter than expected!) and I made a petticoat to go underneath.
3m cheesecloth; about 10m hat elastic; matching thread
Find out more about our three fabulous courses starting this week!
Choose from one of 5 popular dresses.
Member Project of the Week
Kick off party dress season with this cute greenery covered dress.
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.