Burdastyle sheath dress
Added Oct 31, 2012
From the magazine: “This is a form-fitting sheath dress with great style lines. This is an elegant dress that can be worn to a number of special occasions. You can sew it in a nice metallic like this one for an evening dress, or opt for a printed silk or cotton for a dress perfect for daytime.”
This is sized for talls, 72-88. I made size 76 in the top (38 equivalent) graded out to 80 in the bottom (40 equivalent). I adjusted a little to de-tall it.
I love the interesting lines on this pattern – the diagonal lines on the skirt that match the diagonal lines where the shoulder pieces join the bodice. This took some care to match the seam lines. (I was mostly successful.) I also really like the pleats at the neckline. The fit was true to my measurements as is usual with burda (although with not much ease!)
The pattern instructions were clear throughout, until the final steps of facing the slit/vent. Despite my best efforts, I could not work out what was expected.
The only modifications I made from the original pattern were that I took out about 1cm in the bodice length (under the armholes), and about 3cm in the skirt length (under the yoke sections). I sewed only a narrow hem as I wanted to keep the border near but not right on the hemline. I cut the pieces out on the cross grain to make use of the border. Because I could not work out what the instructions mean for the slit/vent, at the slit I sewed the lining to the vent extensions from the wrong side, so that it looks pretty neat.
A thai silk that I have been holding onto from a trip to Thailand about 15 years ago. I am not sure if it is real silk but it does have a lovely sheen to it. I have been putting off using it as it’s a bit fancy really – certainly too fancy for everyday wear. With a party coming up I thought this could be the chance to use it. It frayed terribly so all edges inside the lining are finished with the overlocker. I accidentally sewed the wrong side of the fabric as the right side. It means the border looks quite different to what it is supposed to, but that’s OK with me. The lining is just something from stash.