BurdaStyle Sewing Vintage Modern Contest 2013- Scalloped Pot...
Added Feb 16, 2013
I chose option three. I based my skirt and top off the Elizabeth gathered-waist dress. I used French seams and an invisible zipper on the skirt and flat felled seams inside the top to make it more durable. I also made the petticoat based off the Elizabeth dress outlined in the book to create a fuller skirt. I changed the darts and added cording detail and a keyhole to the blouse- which I drafted based off the Lillian top adjustments. This was my first time drafting a pattern- it always seemed really intimidating, but I’m happy with how it turned out.
Thank you to Anna Lam for taking photos :)
For the top I used a fabric called Linen Look, which I like a lot. It feels a little thinner but still has pretty great quality considering it’s man made. In addition, it doesn’t wrinkle nearly as much as linen does, but it’s still nicely breathable.
The skirt is made from a peached polyester fabric- making it much softer than polyester normally is. A problem I often encounter with fabrics like this is the hem, but for this project I used long strips of fusible webbing to finish it and it worked great!