Added Feb 8, 2013
Corte Madera, Ca...
I chose option 3 of the 3 options. This option allowed me to change the pattern to reflect my personal style.
This particular dress was sewn using the Jamie Sheath Dress pattern found in the BurdaStyle Vintage Modern Book.
The Jamie Sheath Dress boasts clean lines and is simply effortless.
Here I am hanging out with my most favorite actress ever! Doris Day! This photo was taken in 1966, in her kitchen. The Jamie Sheath Dress is a pattern that The Burdastyle Vintage Modern Book credits to the 1960’s. So how perfect is this?
I changed the Jamie Sheath Dress by:
1. Using 2 fabrics from my existing stash of fabrics. A bright green in linen and a fun geometric cotton fabric in green, navy and white.
2. I created more shape to the dress by adding double pointed darts at the waist and at the back.
3. I added interest to this dress by adding small flap pockets to each hip using the geometric cotton fabric to pull the whole look together. Each pocket was also adorned with a button.
4. The neckline of the dress was jazzed up by adding a small tab and button to each side. This added feature reminds me of those vintage dresses that have pretty and ornate clips on either side of the neckline.
5. I finished off the hem with a large helping of surface cording. I think that adds a bit of whimsy!
6. The last thing that I did to add interest to this dress is that I did a “photo shoot” with my favorite actress Doris Day. Oh what fun!!!!
Thanks for checking out my dress and its many pictures!
I used Cotton and Cotton Linen.
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
Take a look at Meg's 2014 Mash Ups, and get the special pattern bundle that includes them all
Register today and get 20% off with a coupon code
Join Meg Healy in this 6 Week Course, we have just re-opened enrollment for a limited time!
Check out the top four finalists, and vote on your favorite dress
Check out these new 2015 patterns and cozy up to these wintery designs
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.