Added Feb 8, 2013
Corte Madera, Ca...
I chose option 3 of the 3 options. This option allowed me to change the pattern to reflect my personal style.
This particular dress was sewn using the Jamie Sheath Dress pattern found in the BurdaStyle Vintage Modern Book.
The Jamie Sheath Dress boasts clean lines and is simply effortless.
Here I am hanging out with my most favorite actress ever! Doris Day! This photo was taken in 1966, in her kitchen. The Jamie Sheath Dress is a pattern that The Burdastyle Vintage Modern Book credits to the 1960’s. So how perfect is this?
I changed the Jamie Sheath Dress by:
1. Using 2 fabrics from my existing stash of fabrics. A bright green in linen and a fun geometric cotton fabric in green, navy and white.
2. I created more shape to the dress by adding double pointed darts at the waist and at the back.
3. I added interest to this dress by adding small flap pockets to each hip using the geometric cotton fabric to pull the whole look together. Each pocket was also adorned with a button.
4. The neckline of the dress was jazzed up by adding a small tab and button to each side. This added feature reminds me of those vintage dresses that have pretty and ornate clips on either side of the neckline.
5. I finished off the hem with a large helping of surface cording. I think that adds a bit of whimsy!
6. The last thing that I did to add interest to this dress is that I did a “photo shoot” with my favorite actress Doris Day. Oh what fun!!!!
Thanks for checking out my dress and its many pictures!
I used Cotton and Cotton Linen.
Hit the city streets in adventurous looks with utilitarian details like cargo pockets and belts.
Twists on feminine classics, like a bold patterned shift dress and pants with a racing stripe.
Member Project of the Week
Short jackets like this zebra print bomber by Anniemollison are a must for spring.
The latest pattern bundle features nine vintage reissues from the 50s and 60s.
Pick one of 5 patterns for a new kind of sew along
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.