Added Feb 14, 2013
Lately, I have been wanting to experiment and push myself in terms of creating some interesting looks. I have been inspired by the laser cut lace style dresses that have been around for the past year or so and thought that I would do my own version of it. So when I saw the Jamie Shift Dress pattern, I knew that it would be perfect fot this lace cut technique.
1. The first step was to cut out the shift dress pattern with tulle.
2. Designed and adapted a jacquard style pattern for this particular dress.
3. Created a stencil and traced the pattern onto the black fabric
4. Carefully cut out the jacquard pattern and sewed the darts on both fabrics (tulle & black fabric)
5. After it was all cut out, I matched the darts on the tulle and black then pinned it all.
6. Sewed the cut out piece onto the tulle. That is the front section done.
7. The back is an inverted version of the front, so I arranged the cut out pieces on the back tulle piece.
8. Pinned and sewed the back pieces on.
9. Sewed front and back pieces together and finished edges (e.g. neckline)
10. Utilised the Jamie Shift Dress pattern to make the under garment with a soft coloured chiffon
11. Photo taking time! Luckily it had snowed lightly the other day, so we thought that it would be a good idea to bear the cold and take photos amongst the white surroundings! Unfortunately I couldn’t get our usual images from film ready in time, so we had to rely on the few digital images that we had taken. The film one’s will hopefully be ready soon:) Fickle Sense
Tulle & Light woven blend & chiffon
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
Take a look at Meg's 2014 Mash Ups, and get the special pattern bundle that includes them all
Register today and get 20% off with a coupon code
Join Meg Healy in this 6 Week Course, we have just re-opened enrollment for a limited time!
Check out the top four finalists, and vote on your favorite dress
Check out these new 2015 patterns and cozy up to these wintery designs
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.