Added Apr 10, 2011
Norwich, United ...
I used a pattern from the January 2011 issue of Burda.
I used blue wool jersey so the top is nice and warm. The fabric was all joined in a tube when I bought it so I had to cut it open. I used a size 16 ballpoint needle. This is the first time I have used a ballpoint needle for a jersey project and it was really effective. I did break one needle but that was when I was using my overcast foot to finish the edges. I have broken a lot of needles using this foot to finish the edges.
I used the same size pattern as my Burda jersey top so I thought I would be OK using the same size for this. Wrong! The shoulders and arm holes were huge which I didn’t find out until I had sewn on the sleeves. If I was after an 80s look with huge shoulder pads I would have been fine. I ended up taking in the sleeves another 1.5 cm all around. I lost the same amount at the top of the side seams, tapering into the waist.
The instructions were unfathomable in places and so I ended up winging a lot of it. This appears to be a common complaint with Burda patterns. I would like to make the top again and it would be nice to be able to be able to follow all the instructions.
Blue wool jersey
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
Take a look at Meg's 2014 Mash Ups, and get the special pattern bundle that includes them all
Register today and get 20% off with a coupon code
Join Meg Healy in this 6 Week Course, we have just re-opened enrollment for a limited time!
Check out the top four finalists, and vote on your favorite dress
Check out these new 2015 patterns and cozy up to these wintery designs
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.