Added Nov 21, 2007
Ithaca, New York...
This is dress 106 from the August issue, the one that “called for Vilene tape”. I ended up using fusible interfacing on the facing pieces, then after I was done sewing and wore it, the fusible sort of ripped because the fabric was so stretchy…so I removed a big part of the interfacing…I hope it will still stay…I also stay stitched the curves of the front pieces before pinning. Some new things I tried: 1. The stretch stitch function of my machine. (following burda instructions)— sews slow and gives almost no room for alteration(very dense stitches) but seams really are stretchy! amazing… 2. Twin needles for top stitch—didn’t master it…my sleeve hem are a little bit bulging and for the hem I tried half way then ripped it off and turned to hem tape instead. Overall, I like the curves on the front, the ruching details, but the dress came out a little bit long….I guess I’m petite sized. In the future I will remember to shorten dress hems when I cut :p
very stretchy medium weight cotton rayon jersey. fall/winter weight.
Burda WOF 08-2007-106
Design your own dresses with the latest special price technique kit.
Check out these new costume sewing patterns for the whole family!
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.