Added Feb 17, 2013
Here is my version of dress #112 from the December 2012 issue of BurdaStyle. So glad it had step by step illustrations or this dress would never have happened.
I used a stiff cotton fabric (bazin) but after a few washes it should lose that plasticy coating and drape better. I hope.
I cut the largest size for the sleeves but they were too small for my arms so I left them out (plus i prefer sleeveless in any case)
I don’t think I did a good job on the “knot” part as it doesn’t look as nice as the model’s, but I am still very happy with it!
The biggest issue is I have extra space in the neck. I however would rather treat this dress as a muslin then rip out and re sew the zipper & facing… so for now I just let my hair down to cover up that extra poof.
I wrote more in my blog here: http://cathywu.com/journal/treadling/2013/02/18/burdastyle-122012-dress-112/
Design your own dresses with the latest special price technique kit.
Check out these new costume sewing patterns for the whole family!
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.