Added Jan 26, 2012
So named after the original brand of this dress. The tag read “Branch, a division of Joshua Tree”. The theme over at the Sew Weekly was to find an inspiration garment and “make the look”. Here’s a quick rundown of how I got from the original 70s poly suit to my final dress:
Took off the skirt waistband and the 6″ CB zip, then stitched up the skirt where the zip was. Unpicked the sleeves, collar and the blouse CF placket. Because of the buttonholes, I had to trim one side of the placket. I turned the blouse around so that the CF was now in back, then stitched up the new CB seam, leaving an opening at the back. Due to the aforementioned buttonhole issue, it’s slightly off from the true center, but I’m okay with that. I marked a new neckline on front, then trimmed off the excess. Then stitched down shoulder pleats, followed by armscye pleats with button detail, harvested from the original blouse. This was to prevent gaping at the armscye, as there was no room to add darts where they’d traditionally belong. I turned the armscye under twice and stitched a narrow hem. I then made pleats on the front of the skirt, darts on the back. Next were darts on the back of the bodice, and then stitched bodice to skirt. Bias tape was made from a sleeve, and I stitched this around the neckline rather than make a facing. I then stitched the back keyhole and added a hook and French tack to avoid a zip. The final step was to stitch the original waistband closed, then add a second buttonhole. I tacked this down on the CB, and added two buttons from my stash to the front. I was lucky to find two matching buttons in the right size/color! The original garment only had one button (from the waistband) in the correct size, and the remainder were smaller from the blouse. The “belt” can unbutton, allowing the dress to slip over my head. Huzzah!
A few more photos can be found on my blog
The inspiration piece is the My Favorite Mod Dress on ModCloth
thrifted polyester skirt & blouse, several sizes too small; 2 stash buttons
Pattern of the Week
Hippie meets grunge in this plaid top with flared sleeves and a round neckline.
Leopard and snakeskin are the new neutrals.
Member Project of the Week
Peneloping's hand beaded frock is a real stunner.
Make these brand new blouses and dresses in candy colored silk.
Sewing & Techniques
Check out this guide all about mini closure solutions!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.