Added May 23, 2008
Another petticoat for my niece for her rock and roll dancing competition. The bottom layer is 12 strips of the tulle cut from the width of fabric (160cm wide) and stitched together to make about 20m. That was 20m of bias binding I made and sewed on to the bottom layer alone!! It was the first time I’ve made bias binding and it turned out thinner than I had intended, so I have just stitched it to the front, not bound the edge like I wanted to. It was a learning exercise — lesson number 1 – don’t attempt to make so much bias binding again!! I made it because I couldn’t find a good colour match in ready made stuff. I joined the tulle strips with french seams to minimize scratchiness, and joined the layers with seams on the outside, then covered with more binding. My niece is modelling it here over her shorts (for modesty). She will be wearing it under a skirt.
tulle, satin, elastic, bemsilk lining
Find out more about our three fabulous courses starting this week!
Choose from one of 5 popular dresses.
Member Project of the Week
Kick off party dress season with this cute greenery covered dress.
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.