Blue riding hood
Added Sep 12, 2012
This cape took me ages to finish, but it was worth it.
I took the pattern in a 2009 Burda Magazine (BWOF 08-2009 #111). The project was done in a creamy gabardine in the mag, but I wasn’t too much into the “Inspector Gadget” feel of it, so I used a dark blue wool instead, and some blue polka dots crepe fabric for the lining.
I had sewn very few projects before, and had never used a pattern, so this project was a bit tricky for me. It took me many months to get the pieces together – I couldn’t understand a word of the instructions at that time ;)
I made the cape just like in the mag, but the result was a bit too severe for me. With the blue, red and white buttons I looked like an Air Franc pilot … (was I told).
So I took it back to my sewing table, and made a few changes : I swaped the collar for a hood (much better for rainy days), removed the belt and its loops, and changed the front buttons for press-studs.
It was a good excercise, and now I just looove it.
More pictures on my blog, but sorry the explanations are in french.
Wool, crepe lining.