Added Jul 29, 2013
I finished my first pair of shorts! Hooray!
I had to take in the side seams and the inside leg seams. I also lengthened the shorts. Obviously, I only realised the shorts were so short when I tried them on, so I had to cut out and sew on a new piece for the cuffs.
My finished waistband was a bit on the small side, so I cut another piece and folded my new waistband on the seam. Does that make sense?
I also did my very first lapped zipper. I wish I had done some research on beforehand and used the Sandra Betzina method (featured here: http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3831/video-an-easy-flat-fly-front-zipper) instead of the Burda method. It makes more sense and would probably have turned out a little bit better. (Although I’m not totally unhappy with how my zipper looks now.)
More info here: http://lientjedriel.blogspot.be/2013/07/shorts.html
I used a cotton with some stretch and it suits this pattern perfectly. I was a little worried that this fabric might be a little on the thin side, but that wasn’t necessary really. It wrinkles a bit but not too much and feels light and breezy on a hot summer day.
Design your own dresses with the latest special price technique kit.
Check out these new costume sewing patterns for the whole family!
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.