Added Aug 16, 2009
I made this dress for a Pattern Review contest using Simplicity 3775. I wasn’t too excited about this pattern to begin with, but I figured out how to alter it to make it more to my liking. Also, after sewing up the bodice and midriff, it was pretty loose, so I ended up making some adjustments for that problem (for a pattern made specifically for knits, I was not expecting to run into this issue!).
I’m still deciding whether to put some sort of trim around the midriff… I was thinking a thick white ribbon, but I’m not sure yet. Maybe some white decorative stitching.
- Shortened the waistband (more to my liking)
- Shortened the skirt 2" on it’s own, then with the shorter waistband, it became even shorter
- Took the sides in about 1" on each side
- Widened the armholes and cut them in a bit, because the dress was really bunching up around my armpits.
- Did not use an overlay around the midriff section
- Altered the way I did the binding so there were no raw edges. I attached the front right sides together, then folded it like a bias strip, and topstitched.
cotton interlock knit
Learn why every seamstress can benefit from flat patternmaking from instructor Deborah Moebes.
How to Grade, Draft, Design, and Sew Leggings with Meg!
Go far afield in wrap dresses, detailed jackets, and comfy separates for fall.
Comment To Win
Share your top fabric care tips for a chance to be in the magazine, and to get the issue for free!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
Check out Meg's finished Mash Up project of her denim suit and see how you can sew along!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.