Added Aug 16, 2009
I made this dress for a Pattern Review contest using Simplicity 3775. I wasn’t too excited about this pattern to begin with, but I figured out how to alter it to make it more to my liking. Also, after sewing up the bodice and midriff, it was pretty loose, so I ended up making some adjustments for that problem (for a pattern made specifically for knits, I was not expecting to run into this issue!).
I’m still deciding whether to put some sort of trim around the midriff… I was thinking a thick white ribbon, but I’m not sure yet. Maybe some white decorative stitching.
- Shortened the waistband (more to my liking)
- Shortened the skirt 2" on it’s own, then with the shorter waistband, it became even shorter
- Took the sides in about 1" on each side
- Widened the armholes and cut them in a bit, because the dress was really bunching up around my armpits.
- Did not use an overlay around the midriff section
- Altered the way I did the binding so there were no raw edges. I attached the front right sides together, then folded it like a bias strip, and topstitched.
cotton interlock knit