Added Mar 17, 2013
Charlotte Hall, ...
For this dress, I used a DuBarry pattern from the 1940s (I included a pic in the project photos).
I made several alterations to the pattern. I didn’t add the yoke (I don’t like high necklines), and I used bias tape and top-stitched around the neckline. I adjusted the shoulders at the neckline to account for the missing yoke. Many vintage patterns have unbelievable amounts of ease, and this one was no exception. So, I took the dress in a tad on the sides. I also made the sleeves tighter than they were originally. Unfortunately, I ended up making them a little too tight for my taste, but they work. The dress is also significantly shorter than the original pattern.
If you would like to see more pictures or details, feel free to take a look at this post.
Try out menswear inspired wardrobe staples, like unconventional jackets and high waisted pants.
Find full size patterns for these, and other gorgeous styles in the spring issue!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up!
Check out Meg's latest mash up of our Princess Seam Top, and see how she made it into a dress!
Member Project of the Week
Kelerabeus modified our Wool Shorts pattern with adorable scalloped edges.
Check out this step-by-step on sewing our edgy, asymmetrical, paneled dress!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.