Added Mar 17, 2013
Charlotte Hall, ...
For this dress, I used a DuBarry pattern from the 1940s (I included a pic in the project photos).
I made several alterations to the pattern. I didn’t add the yoke (I don’t like high necklines), and I used bias tape and top-stitched around the neckline. I adjusted the shoulders at the neckline to account for the missing yoke. Many vintage patterns have unbelievable amounts of ease, and this one was no exception. So, I took the dress in a tad on the sides. I also made the sleeves tighter than they were originally. Unfortunately, I ended up making them a little too tight for my taste, but they work. The dress is also significantly shorter than the original pattern.
If you would like to see more pictures or details, feel free to take a look at this post.
Check out this sneak peel of this Thursday's live web seminar
Chat sewing inspiration with the instructor behind our mood board and fashion design course!
Enter to win weekly drawings and a fabulous grand prize!
The lines of Greek architecture inspire this neutral and pastel collection.
Meg's Magazine Mash Up!
Check out Meg's variation of our Drawstring Gym Shorts, and see how she made them high-fashion!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.