Added Mar 17, 2013
Charlotte Hall, ...
For this dress, I used a DuBarry pattern from the 1940s (I included a pic in the project photos).
I made several alterations to the pattern. I didn’t add the yoke (I don’t like high necklines), and I used bias tape and top-stitched around the neckline. I adjusted the shoulders at the neckline to account for the missing yoke. Many vintage patterns have unbelievable amounts of ease, and this one was no exception. So, I took the dress in a tad on the sides. I also made the sleeves tighter than they were originally. Unfortunately, I ended up making them a little too tight for my taste, but they work. The dress is also significantly shorter than the original pattern.
If you would like to see more pictures or details, feel free to take a look at this post.
Sewing & Techniques
Check out this guide all about mini closure solutions!
Take a trip down the aisle in these gorgeous gowns, or change the fabrics for a spring party dress.
Fashion & Trends
See a few of our favorite looks, and the Burda patterns we're inspired to make!
It's time to enter for our grand prize, an EX100 machine PLUS a trip to Nashville!
Pattern of the Week
A body skimming shift goes mod with graphic stripes and square neckline!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.