Bleached Thai Bloomer Top
Added Sep 27, 2010
This is my submission for the Project Runway ReMake Challenge. I took a very, VERY large pair of Thai Bloomers I purchased on Etsy a couple of years ago. I loved them; or should I say the idea of them. In reality they just didn’t do my figure any favors. They are made of black heavy cotton. I cut them apart and “dyed” the fabric with a bleach solution. I simply sprayed the bleach through a piece of cheesecloth to give it some texture and depth. I then used Amy Butler’s Anna Tunic pattern to cut out the pieces for the new top. Ironing was essential in order to get the curved pieces of the yoke to lay flat and to fit it in the bodice before stitching together. I could never have pieced it together without an iron. I made the yoke with the reverse side of the treated fabric and the pocket is the original pant’s pocket without the bleach treatment. I used vintage buttons from my stash for the back closure. With some extra scraps I made a bracelet with a larger vintage button. I think the overall look is both hard and soft, feminine and masculine, punk and princess. I wanted something I could wear everyday that was fun and unique. I am looking forward to cooler weather here in the Rockies so that I can layer this top over fun colors.
Black cotton pants, vintage buttons
- Amy Butler Anna Tunic