Added Sep 5, 2008
I made this costume years ago! I wanted to dress up as a Final Fantasy black mage, but the traditional black mage outfit is frumpy…so I girlified it. I added patches to add to the hobo-chic look, embroidery stitching large hearts. I made the hat to match from scratch. It was probably the hardest part, because I made it entirely out of wire and fabric – no hat base was used at all.
The hat is definitely my favourite part, and it received a lot of details (patches, wiring, ribbon trim, eyelets, twine).
My least favourite part is the neckline. I tried to use this decorative trim as ribbon in the eyelets, but it wasn’t very effective…and there wasn’t time to go buy more twine. I definitely was up late the night before I needed the costume to be completed, rushing to pull it all together.
linen, twine, eyelets, grosgrain ribbon, trim, wire
Sewing & Techniques
Our popular swimsuit sloper is now available in PLUS size!
Member Project of the Week
Carlotta-Stermaria's ruffled dress is ready for wedding season.
Check out this sneak peel of this Thursday's live web seminar
Chat sewing inspiration with the instructor behind our mood board and fashion design course!
Enter to win weekly drawings and a fabulous grand prize!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.