Added Mar 2, 2008
My newest dress! Made from a vintage pattern (again… I have two boxes of these and I’m actually starting to use them! gasp). I tweaked the original design here and there. Most notably I shortened the dress length by about 9”, since I knew the loose-fitting shape would one be flattering if its knee length or slightly above on me. I also used the shorter sleeve view (that is pictured in the tunic-top view on the original pattern), widened along the sides and re-shaped the bottom edge. I added a narrow, 3/8” band as a “cuff” to finish the sleeves. I love how they bell-shape turned out!!
The fabric I purchased on the clearance table at my favorite fabric store. Its a super-soft, cotton, black and white windowpane plaid. I love, love, love windowpane plaids!! Problem was, the entire piece was less than 2 yards and had a large chunk out of one end. So it took a bit of figuring to get the pieces to all fit, but they did—hurrah!
Its finally starting to warm up, so I wore this to church and can’t wait to wear it again and again; it’ll be perfect through the early summer!
cotton, vintage buttons
Sewing & Techniques
Check out this guide all about mini closure solutions!
Take a trip down the aisle in these gorgeous gowns, or change the fabrics for a spring party dress.
Fashion & Trends
See a few of our favorite looks, and the Burda patterns we're inspired to make!
It's time to enter for our grand prize, an EX100 machine PLUS a trip to Nashville!
Pattern of the Week
A body skimming shift goes mod with graphic stripes and square neckline!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.