Added Mar 2, 2008
My newest dress! Made from a vintage pattern (again… I have two boxes of these and I’m actually starting to use them! gasp). I tweaked the original design here and there. Most notably I shortened the dress length by about 9”, since I knew the loose-fitting shape would one be flattering if its knee length or slightly above on me. I also used the shorter sleeve view (that is pictured in the tunic-top view on the original pattern), widened along the sides and re-shaped the bottom edge. I added a narrow, 3/8” band as a “cuff” to finish the sleeves. I love how they bell-shape turned out!!
The fabric I purchased on the clearance table at my favorite fabric store. Its a super-soft, cotton, black and white windowpane plaid. I love, love, love windowpane plaids!! Problem was, the entire piece was less than 2 yards and had a large chunk out of one end. So it took a bit of figuring to get the pieces to all fit, but they did—hurrah!
Its finally starting to warm up, so I wore this to church and can’t wait to wear it again and again; it’ll be perfect through the early summer!
cotton, vintage buttons
Plan a weekend getaway in these sweater dresses and furry accessories.
Member Project of the Week
Clothingengineer made a classic trench in Pantone's 2014 color of the year. Take a look!
Fashion and Trends
Check out this post all on menswear, and see how Meg was inspired to create her own men's shirts!
Learn how to set your serger up for sewing a rolled hem in this week's new BurdaStyle Video!
Perfect the art of sewing collars and stands, including tricks you won't find in books or patterns!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.