Added Oct 4, 2012
by Julia Morley
This dress was supposed to be a flapper dress using some fringe that I got from the Pittsburgh Center for Creative Reuse. I started with Burda 8045 with plans to modify the skirt to add fringe to it. But somewhere in the process, I decided I didn’t like it anymore. I liked the bodice, though, so rather than wasting it I added the skirt from Simplicity 2549. And by some miracle, it actually came out ok! I did chop off the bottom of the skirt, eliminating the slit in the back.
I was going to bead the waistband in gold, but now that I look at it I wonder if simpler is better. What do you think?
The skirt is made from a heavy cotton blend and the bodice is made from some type of knit from my stash that I can’t identify.
Plan a weekend getaway in these sweater dresses and furry accessories.
Member Project of the Week
Clothingengineer made a classic trench in Pantone's 2014 color of the year. Take a look!
Fashion and Trends
Check out this post all on menswear, and see how Meg was inspired to create her own men's shirts!
Learn how to set your serger up for sewing a rolled hem in this week's new BurdaStyle Video!
Perfect the art of sewing collars and stands, including tricks you won't find in books or patterns!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.