Added Dec 14, 2011
London, United K...
After much wrong turns and detours I finally finished this pleated skirt. And I blame it all on the unforgiving taffeta. I had made the same skirt with a second-hand Drindl dress made of potato-sack like fabric. It worked a charm. I did the same with the taffeta and it bombed.
Just goes to show the importance of testing with the right type of fabric if you’re not familiar with a pattern or silhouette and you’re not already an expert at working with different types of fabric. So even the popular plain muslin test may not be going far enough.
Many lessons learnt, and I think the skirt is now serviceable. I’m especially proud of taking the risk with gold painting and gold thread embroidery. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
More pix & info on my blog posts
Acetate Taffeta (less than 2yds – I got some leftover)
Jacquard Lumiere fabric paint: True Gold
Gutermann Sulky Metallic thread: 7004
Enter to win weekly drawings and a fabulous grand prize!
The lines of Greek architecture inspire this neutral and pastel collection.
Meg's Magazine Mash Up!
Check out Meg's variation of our Drawstring Gym Shorts, and see how she made them high-fashion!
Meet this seamstress, mom, jeans lover, and the instructor of our digital pattern drafting course!
Pattern of the Week
This timeless style ties at the back and looks stunning at formal events
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.