Added Apr 7, 2014
♫ ♪ Biko
Back in February I saw Vivetta’s red dress with scallops on Cherry Blossom Girl .. I’ve made a mental note to find a solid color fabric so I could make something similar.. As it usually happens, it took me a couple of months to find the fabric.. I would prefer to have this dress in mustard or purple, but in my favorite stores it’s hard to find nice solid color fabrics, so I settled with navy cotton.. Next step was to decide which pattern to use.. I needed one with princess seams that go to the shoulder so I could place scallops.. Pattern 125 from Burda 05/2011, was the best choice, I just had to trace it a size smaller.. Sewing went well.. After first trying on the dress my sister and I agreed that it looks like I’m wearing an apron.. That’s how the dress got the name Lady’s maid dress (we’re big fans of Downton Abbey).. The bust darts were the only thing I had to change.. They are only on the central bodice piece, very small, but they made unwanted pointy effect.. I decided to rip the seams and sew them without bust darts.. The fit of the bodice stayed the same..
Find out more about our three fabulous courses starting this week!
Choose from one of 5 popular dresses.
Member Project of the Week
Kick off party dress season with this cute greenery covered dress.
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.