Added May 2, 2011
Brooklyn, New Yo...
I made the dress from a soft rayon challis. It has a wonderful drape and I love the color, but when I started making it from a 1980 Simplicity pattern, I didn’t realize the skirt was cut on the bias (me and my seam ripper got tight this weekend!).
In addition to the two darts around the collar that the pattern called for, I removed the lapped front and added three darts along the shoulders for more soft folds, which I love.
But I had some trouble with the skirt. The zipper in the back puckers and one of the pockets doesn’t lay flat. And this is all because of the slippery nature of the bias cut. I’ve since ripped out the zipper (about six times) and am going to reinforce it with fusible web to see if I can fix the ripple problem. I’m also going to tackle that errant pocket (yet again!) before I wear this baby out.
I added a bias-tape belt with two D rings.
I’ve got a little diagram on how I altered the bodice on my blog:
Plan a weekend getaway in these sweater dresses and furry accessories.
Member Project of the Week
Clothingengineer made a classic trench in Pantone's 2014 color of the year. Take a look!
Fashion and Trends
Check out this post all on menswear, and see how Meg was inspired to create her own men's shirts!
Learn how to set your serger up for sewing a rolled hem in this week's new BurdaStyle Video!
Perfect the art of sewing collars and stands, including tricks you won't find in books or patterns!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.