BERNINA Halloween 2011 Inspired by Gnomeo and Juliet
Added Oct 24, 2011
This Halloween costume “theme” was inspired by the movie “Gnomeo and Juliet.”
I used Burda kids Dirndl pattern 9509 for Juliet, modifying the long sleeve pattern slightly by shortening it and adding a slightly gathered cuffed sleeve. I also added a second layer to the skirt for fullness and a bit of vintage trim to the inside layer to give the look of a petticoat. And yes, those are brass pins for the closure! I needed to mimic the look of the gold closure from Juliet’s character, and didn’t have anything else on hand! The hat was modified from McCalls M5904, a fairy hat pattern with a curvier top. I shortened the curl at the top to make it more “gnome-like.”
I used Simplicity 2506 as a start for the little fungi :). I modified the jumpsuit style costume to make it into a dress with a “bubble” shape. I stuffed the bottom binding strip on the base of the bubble to give it body. I changed the shape of the cape portion of the pattern to mimic the zig zag style of Gnomeo’s sidekick toadstool. I attached it backwards as a collar instead of having it tie on. I used a large salad bowl as the shape for the mushroom head. It only took four sewn up prototypes to get the right pie shape to make the final pattern :) I used a waffle weave knit for the underside of the mushroom, gathering both the inside and outside edge, and stitched it to a circle of stiff interfacing to mimic the underside of a mushroom. For the fitted cap, I used the hat piece from the simplicity pattern, making it more fitted by adding a horizontal dart at the back at the crown of the head and adding more of a curve to the back as well. The mushroom head is stuffed with fiber fill. For the pants, I created a pattern from a pair of leggings she has.
Juliet – cotton and poly cotton blend, vintage lace trim, ribbon, eyelet,
Mushroom – fleece, poly batting, interfacing, waffle weave knit