Added Oct 11, 2013
Ithaca, New York...
I made this back in April and entered into the Colette Laurel Contest. I didn’t win, but it was super fun to make! This is made with sky blue linen and a white linen-cotton blend that is interlined with light fusible interfacing. Unfortunately, this gives the hem a weird stiffness, but the dress is still attractive. Embroidery is Seafoam Perle Cotton #8 in a padded satin stitch. The hem would have been too stiff if I did it traditionally, so I used some Aqua colored hem lace to tack and cover the raw edge. The pockets are hemmed this way, too.
The sheath is not my most flattering shape, and I had to take in the muslin and the dress a good 5 or 6 inches to make it work. However, making it was fun and a good learning tool for fitting and altering an original pattern. These are also my first patch pockets! I’ve worn this dress enough that it already needs some repairs and I’ve gotten tons of compliments!
linen, linen cotton
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
Take a look at Meg's 2014 Mash Ups, and get the special pattern bundle that includes them all
Register today and get 20% off with a coupon code
Join Meg Healy in this 6 Week Course, we have just re-opened enrollment for a limited time!
Check out the top four finalists, and vote on your favorite dress
Check out these new 2015 patterns and cozy up to these wintery designs
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.