Added Oct 11, 2013
Ithaca, New York...
I made this back in April and entered into the Colette Laurel Contest. I didn’t win, but it was super fun to make! This is made with sky blue linen and a white linen-cotton blend that is interlined with light fusible interfacing. Unfortunately, this gives the hem a weird stiffness, but the dress is still attractive. Embroidery is Seafoam Perle Cotton #8 in a padded satin stitch. The hem would have been too stiff if I did it traditionally, so I used some Aqua colored hem lace to tack and cover the raw edge. The pockets are hemmed this way, too.
The sheath is not my most flattering shape, and I had to take in the muslin and the dress a good 5 or 6 inches to make it work. However, making it was fun and a good learning tool for fitting and altering an original pattern. These are also my first patch pockets! I’ve worn this dress enough that it already needs some repairs and I’ve gotten tons of compliments!
linen, linen cotton
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
No need to go outside… spend the morning in dolled up in this collection of vintage style pajamas.
BurdaStyle Magazine US
Get an inside look at the patterns from the first 4 issues of BurdaStyle US
As an early special Black Friday promotion you can now enroll in the course ($80 value) for $49.99!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.