Added Oct 11, 2013
Ithaca, New York...
I made this back in April and entered into the Colette Laurel Contest. I didn’t win, but it was super fun to make! This is made with sky blue linen and a white linen-cotton blend that is interlined with light fusible interfacing. Unfortunately, this gives the hem a weird stiffness, but the dress is still attractive. Embroidery is Seafoam Perle Cotton #8 in a padded satin stitch. The hem would have been too stiff if I did it traditionally, so I used some Aqua colored hem lace to tack and cover the raw edge. The pockets are hemmed this way, too.
The sheath is not my most flattering shape, and I had to take in the muslin and the dress a good 5 or 6 inches to make it work. However, making it was fun and a good learning tool for fitting and altering an original pattern. These are also my first patch pockets! I’ve worn this dress enough that it already needs some repairs and I’ve gotten tons of compliments!
linen, linen cotton
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
See what pattern Meg is "mashing up" and see how you can easily sew along too!
Pull inspiration from faraway cultures with this rustic, travel-ready collection.
Fashion & Trends
Looks from Dior, Lanvin, and Balmain.
Pattern of the Week
The heart-shaped neckline and matching belt with buckle give this dress that retro feel.
Fill the tank and hit the road on a rock and roll inspired autumn adventure.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.