Added Oct 11, 2013
Ithaca, New York...
I made this back in April and entered into the Colette Laurel Contest. I didn’t win, but it was super fun to make! This is made with sky blue linen and a white linen-cotton blend that is interlined with light fusible interfacing. Unfortunately, this gives the hem a weird stiffness, but the dress is still attractive. Embroidery is Seafoam Perle Cotton #8 in a padded satin stitch. The hem would have been too stiff if I did it traditionally, so I used some Aqua colored hem lace to tack and cover the raw edge. The pockets are hemmed this way, too.
The sheath is not my most flattering shape, and I had to take in the muslin and the dress a good 5 or 6 inches to make it work. However, making it was fun and a good learning tool for fitting and altering an original pattern. These are also my first patch pockets! I’ve worn this dress enough that it already needs some repairs and I’ve gotten tons of compliments!
linen, linen cotton
Pattern of the Week
This timeless style ties at the back and looks stunning at formal events
The results are in! Check out our winning submission.
Daydream about fall sewing with boho layers, oversized jackets, and a leopard pencil skirt.
Get 9 patterns specially picked for shorter stitchers.
Member Project of the Week
Suzeb's superhero inspired swimsuit will make you want to be a kid again!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.