Added Oct 11, 2013
Ithaca, New York...
I made this back in April and entered into the Colette Laurel Contest. I didn’t win, but it was super fun to make! This is made with sky blue linen and a white linen-cotton blend that is interlined with light fusible interfacing. Unfortunately, this gives the hem a weird stiffness, but the dress is still attractive. Embroidery is Seafoam Perle Cotton #8 in a padded satin stitch. The hem would have been too stiff if I did it traditionally, so I used some Aqua colored hem lace to tack and cover the raw edge. The pockets are hemmed this way, too.
The sheath is not my most flattering shape, and I had to take in the muslin and the dress a good 5 or 6 inches to make it work. However, making it was fun and a good learning tool for fitting and altering an original pattern. These are also my first patch pockets! I’ve worn this dress enough that it already needs some repairs and I’ve gotten tons of compliments!
linen, linen cotton
Check out these festive sewing patterns just in time for Oktoberfest
Fashion & Trends
All the fall trouser sewing inspiration you need.
Pattern of the Week
This jacket is a mix of mod and military and will change the look of any outfit!
Go far afield in this collection of bib dresses, waistcoats, and wool jackets in textured fall fabri
Sewing & Techniques
Check out this jean alteration technique and find out how you can learn more!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.