Added Aug 8, 2012
This is a dress I made as my final project at college for my 1st year. I made the pattern myself and used an inexpensive fabric in case it went wrong, but thankfully it turned out fine.
It was relatively easy to make, except that I somehow worked out the wrong measurements on the model, but after a couple of fittings, it fitted her perfectly. Shame I didn’t have my camera at college when she put it on as you would be able to see how gorgeous she looked. I made a corset back with a modestly panel so that it could fit different people. The skirt is just a straight forward circular skirt.
It’s made of a lightweight cotton fabric and has two underskirts. The bodice is lined with two layers of lining and one of underlining and has regilene boning for a more fitted look.
Cotton, silk lining, regilene boning, satin ribbon, petersham ribbon, thread
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
Member Model Challenge
Voting had begun! Vote for your favorite dress to be the next face of a BurdaStyle.com pattern.
Fashion & Trends
See 3 dresses in new prints perfect for this season's transitional weather, plus a chance to win!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.