Added May 30, 2013
I’ve been working on this early 60s coat for awhile and I finished the hand stitching this weekend.
Initially it had a collar but I didn’t have enough fabric to make a full front facing so off came the collar!
The fit is similar to the 50s style car coats – it’s shapeless and only has 2 small darts at the back to stop it looking too sack like. The pattern I used was Butterick 2624
I modified the coat pattern so it had longer sleeves, more room in the hips and added some pockets.
I bound the edges with Bias tape and the realised I’d sewn the facings wrong so in the top corner the bias goes all the way to the edge – not quite right but the coat is not meant to worn with the lapel open. I added a hook and eye to keep it closed on windy days.
The fabric is a brocade from Tessuti’s in Surrey hills. It was pretty nice to work with and holds its shape pretty well.
I chose not to line is so that I can wear it in Spring and summer when it’s freezing in the office but boiling hot outside!
For more sewing loveliness visit my blog
Black and Orange brocade
Member Project of the Week
She modified this coat wonderfully by adding length and changing the pockets and collar
Congratulations to addiemiller22 for winning, and now being the face of our Cascade Designer Dress!
Flaunt your sewing skills as well as your fab fashion sense in these modern, head-turning designs
Watch Meg's promo of our upcoming course! It is the future of at-home pattern drafting...
Pattern of the Week
The oversized shape has a cool bell shaped silhouette with a wide body and fitted sleeves
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.