Added May 30, 2013
I’ve been working on this early 60s coat for awhile and I finished the hand stitching this weekend.
Initially it had a collar but I didn’t have enough fabric to make a full front facing so off came the collar!
The fit is similar to the 50s style car coats – it’s shapeless and only has 2 small darts at the back to stop it looking too sack like. The pattern I used was Butterick 2624
I modified the coat pattern so it had longer sleeves, more room in the hips and added some pockets.
I bound the edges with Bias tape and the realised I’d sewn the facings wrong so in the top corner the bias goes all the way to the edge – not quite right but the coat is not meant to worn with the lapel open. I added a hook and eye to keep it closed on windy days.
The fabric is a brocade from Tessuti’s in Surrey hills. It was pretty nice to work with and holds its shape pretty well.
I chose not to line is so that I can wear it in Spring and summer when it’s freezing in the office but boiling hot outside!
For more sewing loveliness visit my blog
Black and Orange brocade
Exotic prints and silhouettes combine for this alluring collection
Fashion & Trends
While Sewing Their Own Halloween Costume (in GIFs!)
Member Project of the Week
Rwest1014's created this gorgeous skirt to wear Halloween after Halloween.
Comment To Win
Get your copy of BurdaStyle Modern Sewing: Wardrobe Essentials today!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
See the pattern that Meg chose to Mash Up next and how you can sew along (she chose one on sale)!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.