Added Jun 23, 2010
by Galadriel F
Leeds, United Ki...
Modifications from the Burdastyle tutorial:
I did not line the crown; I thought it would be too hot for baby’s head. Instead, I finished all seams in the crown with bias tape. This also helped to stiffen the crown a little: the material I used is quite light.
I originally sewed the two outer brim edges together, turned inside out, and top-stitched before attaching to the crown. However, I decided that the brim was too wide, so I ended up cutting off a little and zigzagging around, like in the tutorial. I think my original brim was nicer-looking, but the now it’s the right width.
I also interfaced all four of the brim pieces before sewing any seams.
I know there was some question as to how the brim in the tutorial was drafted. I can only say how I did mine: measure the circumference of the crown (mine was 48cm), then divide by 6.28 (which is 2 times pi) to determine the radius (mine was 7.64cm). Draw out a half circle using the radius for the inner brim, and then draw an outer circle of the preferred width (I chose 5cm, so the outer half-circle was 12.64cm). Instead of making a full half-circle, I cut off one end at a slight angle to make the brim more floppy. I added an illustration, to make things more clear.
Tailoring a Jacket for the Perfect Fit and a Professional Finish
Pattern of the Week
Show a little leg in this sexy skirt with a thigh high slit!
In this Flagship Kit for only $19.99
The kids are sure to steal the show in this charming collection of classic, elegant pieces.
Member Project of the Week
She made this dress for her high school graduation, and it looks fab!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.