Added Nov 30, 2011
Basic shell dress with darts on main front and two pieces for back.
Neckline, waist, and armholes needed adjustments which I found out after sewing the whole thing plus the lining. ack.
It’s available for download and the pattern also has a jacket… maybe I’ll make that next. But, I’ll do a muslin first. Maybe a wearable muslin?
Things I learned whilst making this dress: stay-stiching, new lining technique, chain stitch to hold lining together, bias tape method from Coletterie. And lastly, but not least, 100% cotton dresses wrinkle… a lot.
Things to improve on pattern: waistline, (A) armholes, (B) neckline. I failed to see the armhole and neckline problems because I was so focused on the waistline issues.
I used 100% cotton, but I suggest using something with a little elastic or a blend so it doesn’t easily wrinkle after just one wear. Depending on fabric choice, this dress could be quite dressy. I wanted an everyday home dress.
Behind the seams with Marina von Koenig Part 2
Get all 11 of these retro inspired patterns for one low price!
Pattern of the Week
Hippie meets grunge in this plaid top with flared sleeves and a round neckline.
Leopard and snakeskin are the new neutrals.
Member Project of the Week
Peneloping's hand beaded frock is a real stunner.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.