Artichoke Duffle Coat
Added Dec 9, 2013
New York, United...
I had some fabric leftover from an upholstery project and decided to make this Burda Duffle Coat. Because the pattern is so busy I removed many of the details: the front pocket flaps, the sleeve tabs, and the placket on the front facing. I also added an inside pocket, moved the placement of the front pockets, and shortened the length a bit.
It’s not often that a couch and a coat match!
The fabric was a tapestry-style thick and very heavy fabric, but was easy to sew with a heavy-duty sewing machine needle.
The inside is a blue lining material that I quilted as per the instructions — with the exception that I read 4 inches as 4 centimeters and quilted it much more thoroughly than the instructions required!
I found wooden toggle buttons in the Garment District and sewed them on with black cotton braided cord (I skipped binding them with leather because it conflicted with the pattern).