Art Deco Style Swimsuit
Added Jul 20, 2013
This is probably the most in-depth garment that I’ve ever made. So much time went into hand sewing, and making sure that all of the design details, and the fit was correct. For the fabric, I used a stretch linen (for those of you seamstresses who are wondering, the linen has held up great in water! There’s no shrinking at all.), and cream jersey lining on the inside. I drafted the pattern using my own measurements, except for the bottom portion. I cut up an old pair of well fitted underwear to use as my base pattern for the bottoms.
There’s boning in the bodice, and all of the white lines are bias tape that was top stitched onto outside of the suit. The bias tape was all hand pressed and made from an old, twill, satin skirt that I had. The halter straps are made from that same fabric as well.
The lining took the longest to work on. I only had scraps of jersey from other projects that I had worked on. At the time I didn’t feel like going to buy more, so I just used what I had, and pieced the lining together from scraps. Although looking back I wish that I would have waited to buy more fabric, because so much time went into hand sewing the inside! Because I only had small pieces of jersey, all of the seams had to be hand sewn down using a whip stitch to keep from bunching. I also hand sewed ribbon, and bias tape to cover some of the seams as well (as you can see from the zipper and waist area). Overall around 40 hours went into sewing this swimsuit.
If you’re interested there are more photos over on my blog: http://esther-fromthesticks.blogspot.com/2013/07/art-deco-style-swimsuit.html
Fabric, invisible zipper, boning, thread.