Added Mar 16, 2010
I have been itching to make some blouses for my summer wardrobe. This is the 1st blouse I’ve sewn. The only criteria I had for patterns is for something work-appropriate yet versatile— I ended up choosing the Alexander from Burdastyle. The construction of the rippling sleeves is really quite clever— with slashing and gathering instead of a true set-in sleeve.
I made some alterations to the pattern. Instead of using their facings, I made 1.5" bias strips to use as facings and on the hems. I used french seams. The original peplum was way too short for me, so I cut a new peplum about 3" longer than the pattern. Also, I cut the back on the fold to eliminate the back buttons.
The result isn’t perfect, but overall, I’m pretty happy how it turned out. And best of all, it has made me excited to try more blouses with sheer fabrics!
Sheer crinkly fabric— not exactly sure what it is!
Sewing & Techniques
Our popular swimsuit sloper is now available in PLUS size!
Member Project of the Week
Carlotta-Stermaria's ruffled dress is ready for wedding season.
Check out this sneak peel of this Thursday's live web seminar
Chat sewing inspiration with the instructor behind our mood board and fashion design course!
Enter to win weekly drawings and a fabulous grand prize!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.